Roy Lichtenstein in Oswego 1957 - 1960

Category: Books,Arts & Photography,History & Criticism

Roy Lichtenstein in Oswego 1957 - 1960 Details

A book of original paintings by Ron Throop imaginatively depicting the life and times of Roy Lichtenstein as Assistant Professor of Art at the State Teachers College at Oswego, NY, from 1957 to 1960. From the preface: "Roy Lichtenstein might have been an artist for the last time in Oswego, N.Y. This will be difficult to prove, yet thankfully, even harder to refute. I know Roy Lichtenstein was probaly an artist in Oswego because I am an artist in Oswego. For career, I am a painter and a writer. Privately however, I remain an artist to the core. I will try to prove that to you with my presence, which is this book and painting exhibition. After 1961, Roy Lichtenstein was a painter, but no longer, even potentially, was he an artist. I will prove that too. And I think Roy would agree, if he were alive today. He might get mad about it, publicly, and refute such a preposterous notion in the next edition of ARTnews. However, privately he would admit that he no longer shadow-boxed with his existentialism, and professionally coasted through later life in wealth and fame on low doses of misanthropy, and high octane artifice. I know if ghost Roy floated into my studio today he would counsel me on the great Vegas crapshoot that is modern art exchanged in the marketplace. No doubt he too was a painter, and would talk shop like a pro. But an artist? After recognition in the Land of Millionaires, he circled around the same style until death did him part. I have read of his many ten hour days spent painting. As any painter worth her salt will tell you, however, this is far from the truth. Roy might have logged 10 hours a day in his studio, which means, alone, thinking, mixing, taping, dreaming, sleeping, eating, and yes, painting from time to time. But nobody paints for ten hours straight. The millionaires want you to believe the lie because it is good story and good story can make a frail old person appear great like a small god. And, when vigorously promoted, a small gods’ painting can be sold for a fortune. Fairy tale art stories maintain the wealth of museums and mountebanks."

Reviews

Feature Ad (728)

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel